I have fond memories of cuddling with my kids and buddy-reading Harry Potter books at bedtime, so any excuse to have a Harry Potter-themed party or family movie night makes this mama’s heart happy. And anything sweet, like these gluten-free Harry Potter Pumpkin Pasties, makes my kids happy!
These sweet and simple pumpkin pasties transition to an easy fall or Thanksgiving dessert by swapping the lighting-shaped vent for a few basic venting slits.
Some of the links on this post are affiliate links. To learn more, visit our Disclosures.
In this post, I share my recipe for sweet Harry Potter Pumpkin Pasties. If you are looking for savory pasties, Whip & Wander has a good savory pumpkin pasty recipe. Just switch out the traditional pie crusts for Schar’s Gluten-Free Puff Pastry Dough or my easy recipe for gluten-free pie crusts.
If you need more inspiration for all things fall, pumpkin and Halloween, check out the Go Gluten Freely Guide to a Gluten-Free Halloween. Now, on to Harry Potter…
My son is the Harry Potter fan in the house. He discovered the series in third grade, and Harry Potter ignited a love of books in him, as in many children and teens. As CJ finished each book, we would celebrate with a movie night watching that book’s movie. (or two movies!)
Over the years, we have had fun Harry Potter experiences: visiting the JK Rowling Suite at the Balmoral Hotel and seeing perhaps the inspiration for Hogwarts in Edinburgh, Kings Cross Station in London, Warner Brothers Studio Tour in LA, and Universal Studios Florida.
As the world transitioned to a lockdown in 2020, CJ had a Harry Potter birthday by Zoom. We delivered chocolate wands, popcorn, and cake to each friend’s house. The “party guests” solved a Harry Potter digital escape room and watched a Harry Potter movie, all on Zoom.
Thankfully, all parties and movie nights are now in person and present the perfect opportunity for the pumpkin pasty, one of our favorite Harry Potter treats. After butterbeer, of course. Pumpkin pasties are as big a hit in our house as they are on the Hogwart’s Express or at a Hogwart’s Halloween Feast.
We have tried both sweet and savory versions, but sweet always wins. Imagine a pumpkin pie wrapped in extra pastry dough. Brilliant!
If you have a Harry Potter party or movie night in your future, these gluten-free pumpkin pasties straight out of the books are a delicious addition to your event. “Lightning scar” vents in the top complete the Harry Potter theme.
These tasty pumpkin pasties easily transition from a Harry Potter treat to a Thanksgiving dessert. For Thanksgiving, make 2-3 simple slits to vent the pumpkin pasties.
Gluten-Free Harry Potter Pumpkin Pasties (sweet)
- 1 package Schar's Gluten-Free Puff Pastry Dough (thawed) or substitute two gluten-free pie crusts from my easy gluten-free crust recipe
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 3 oz cream cheese room temperature
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 400℉.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients (except the pastry/pie dough).
- Unroll thawed Schar's Guten-Free Puff Pastry Dough. Dip fingertips in water and gently press together where cracked. (Roll out the pie dough, if substituting pie crust dough.)
- Use a 3 ½ -inch round cookie cutter to cut 9 circles from each sheet of pastry/pie dough.
- Place approximately 1 tbsp of the filling on each circle and carefully fold the puff pastry over the filling
- Seal the filling inside the pastry by pressing the edges together with a fork.
- Use a knife to cut Harry Potter's lightning scar into each pastie. (Cut simple slits if making pumpkin pasties without a Harry Potter theme.)
- Bake for approximately 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.