For those of us with celiac disease or gluten intolerance, this is a very serious question.
The great news is that many flavors of Breyers ice cream are gluten-free.
When dinner guests ask me, “What can I bring?” Breyers ice cream is my most frequent response! It’s so easy to find gluten-free flavors of Breyers in most grocery stores. Even a guest with no experience shopping for gluten-free products can quickly identify which ice cream flavors are safe, simply by looking for the gluten-free seal on the label.
Plus, Breyers ice cream is affordable (gluten-free or not) and is often on sale.
There are so many easy ways to enjoy the many gluten-free flavors of Breyers ice cream. Serve it with gluten-free cake or apple crisp. Mix in crushed candy canes or gingersnaps at Christmas. Top with gluten-free Oreos anytime. Serve between two gluten-free Tate’s chocolate chip cookies. Or simply enjoy one of the many gluten-free flavors.
Gluten-free choices include everything from classic flavors, like chocolate ice cream and what appears to be somewhere near a million varieties of vanilla…. to the newest flavors, mango and dulce de leche. You have a lot of gluten-free options!
Here’s the current list of gluten-free flavors. Always check the package at the time of purchase for the most up-to-date information.
Breyers Gluten-Free Ice Cream List (20+ Flavors)
- Black Raspberry Chocolate
- Butter Pecan
- Carb Smart Chocolate
- Carb Smart Vanilla
- Carb Smart Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry
- Cherry Vanilla
- Chocolate Chip
- Chocolate Peanut Butter
- Dulce de Leche (new)
- French Vanilla
- Extra Creamy Chocolate
- Extra Creamy Vanilla
- Homemade Vanilla
- Lactose-Free Chocolate
- Lactose-Free Vanilla
- Mango (new)
- Mint Chocolate Chip
- Natural Vanilla
- Natural Strawberry
- No Sugar Added Butter Pecan
- No Sugar Added Vanilla
- No Sugar Added Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry
- Vanilla, Chocolate
- Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry
- Vanilla Fudge Twirl
How to Know Which Flavors of Breyers Ice Cream are Gluten-Free?
Check the package! The website is incomplete. I found gluten-free flavors in-store, which were not noted as gluten-free on the website. Plus, ingredients and manufacturing processes can change at any time. The best way to get accurate information is on the ice cream package itself.
Every time you purchase Breyers ice cream, look for the green gluten-free seal right on the carton. It’s not always in the same place. Look on the side, front, and top of the container.
What Does Gluten-Free Mean for Breyers Products?
Breyers does not certify its products as gluten-free, but it provides extensive information about what gluten-free means for Breyers ice cream products.
Let me just say how much I love Breyers FAQ page! In addition to the Company’s gluten-free protocols, it includes thoughtful and well-informed sections covering the gluten-free diet, celiac disease, and non-celiac gluten sensitivity, including the importance of testing for celiac disease before starting a gluten-free diet.
Here are key takeaways regarding gluten-free at Breyers:
- In the United States, gluten-free on the package means the presence of gluten in the food is below 20 ppm (parts per million) per serving
- Always read the ingredient labels for the most up-to-date information
- Breyers’ gluten-free products are not made in a gluten-free facility.
- There are systems in place to prevent cross-contact with gluten on Breyers’ line of gluten-free products:
- Employee allergen training
- Ingredient segregation
- Cleaning procedures
- Production planning.
- Validation and verification activities (including testing on both the product and the production lines)
- Some Breyers products contain wheat flour and are not gluten-free
- Some products in MAGNUM®, KLONDIKE®, and POPSICLE® do not contain gluten within the ingredients but are made on processing equipment not validated as being gluten-free. These products are not labeled gluten-free due to possible cross-contact.
- Breyers gluten-free products are designed to meet the need of people with celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity. The gluten-free claim directly on the ice cream tub allows making these products easily recognized by people that need to avoid gluten. Nevertheless, Breyers gluten-free products can be consumed by anyone.
How amazing is that last part?! Breyers has made it clear that its gluten-free label exists to make our lives easier.
Visit Breyers FAQ for more details.
Are Any of Breyers Candy Varieties Gluten-Free?
What about the candy varieties? Cookies & Cream, Reese’s Peanut Butter, and Reese’s Mini Pieces. Due to possible cross-to contact on processing equipment, these drool-worthy flavors are not gluten-free.
But you can make your own. Look for gluten-free labeled packages of Oreo Cookies, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, and Reese’s Mini Pieces, and mix them with Breyer’s gluten-free Vanilla, Chocolate, or Dulce de Leche.
More Reasons to Love Breyers
As if having gluten-free options, demonstrating care for the gluten-free community, and having reliable gluten and allergy protocols weren’t enough, here are more reasons to love Breyers ice cream:
- High-quality ingredients: 100% grade A milk and fresh cream
- Dairy is Kosher certified
- No artificial growth hormones
- Naturally sourced colors and flavors (for example mint chip ice cream made with real mint oil and strawberry ice cream made with real strawberries)
- Sustainably sourced fruit and vanilla (except raspberries)
- Rainforest Alliance Certification for vanilla
- You can sign up for Breyers newsletter to receive special offers and coupons
- The gluten-free varieties are the same price as flavors with gluten-containing ingredients.